Thursday 23 August 2012

The Trespass, Barbara Ewing

Title: The Trespass
Author: Barbara Ewing
Publication Date: 2003
Publisher: Time Warner
Pages: 416
Source: My own copy
Genre: Historical Fiction
Goodreads | Amazon.com


Well what can I say, I love Ewing. I have been enchanted by every book of hers I have read so I'm slowly working my way through her entire collection. The Trespass is one of her earlier novels. Set in 1849 it follows Harriet Cooper as she is bundled off to live with her extended family in their country estate while Cholera engulfs London. Far away from her beloved older sister who must remain in London she finds comfort in teaching her youngest cousin and forming friendships with her other cousins especially Edward who is about to embark on an incredible journey.

However Harriet harbours a dark secret, one which will see her follow her cousin Edward to the other side of the world and Britain's new colony New Zealand in order to run away from her past.

Ewing's strong characters always appeal to me and this one was no exception. The Trespass expertly highlights the plight of women in the 1800s as second classed citizens. Unable to vote or have their own money or possessions they are completely owned by their fathers and husbands and have no independence or rights of their own.

This is the story of one women's courage, determination and bravery in a man's world.

Read It